Have you ever wondered about the role that oil plays in your hair and scalp's health? Whether you're a seasoned expert on “all things oil”, have occasionally used oils here and there, or just simply looking to add them to your hair care regimen, learning about the relationship between oil and scalp health would benefit you at any stage. This blog discusses essential information about scalp oiling, gives a step-by-step process of properly oiling your scalp, and discusses how often you should oil for the best results.
Basics & Benefits Of Scalp Oiling
Sebum, an ingredient that makes up our body’s natural oils, is composed of minerals and fatty acids that help with moisture and skin/hair protection. The body seems to suggest the importance of oils by producing its own natural oil. Adding oil to the scalp aids in the body's basic production of sebum, especially for those who have dry scalp.
There are different methods of maintaining the best health for the different specific hair types. Keeping hair moisturized and strong tends to be a few common signs of good health to most. Specifically for those with 4C hair type (where hair strands are tightly coiled), knowing how to prevent dryness and maintain moisture is always your best friend. Oil, when used as a sealant or moisturizer, helps to lock in moisture and aids in scalp health with its natural vitamins and minerals. Some studies suggest that oil is an important factor in preventing hair loss, promoting hair strand growth, and assisting in overall hair strength. It has also been shown to aid in overall hair appearance, giving your crown an added luscious shine!
How Do I Oil My Scalp?
Not only will oiling your scalp keep your mane flourishing and thriving, but it can also give you a feeling of having your own personal spa day. It's proven that massaging your scalp reduces stress and lowers the heart rate, giving the body a sense of relaxation. Also, massaging oils in your scalp promotes blood circulation, assisting hair growth. The process of oiling your scalp can be a simple and rejuvenating routine after having all of the steps down pat and integrated.
Step-By-Step Process to Scalp Oiling:
- Separate your hair into at least 4 sections.
- Part hair into smaller sections as you go.
- Once the first section is divided, apply a few drops of oil to the scalp by using a hair dropper or your fingertips.
- Using the balls of your fingertips, gently massage your scalp in a circular motion for at least 5 minutes.
- Continue until the oil has been massaged into the entire scalp. Any remaining oil left on hands can be put into moisturized hair.
- Cover hair with a shower cap or towel and let the oil absorb into your scalp overnight.
- Although oiling the scalp is proven beneficial as a regular routine practice, many use oils for “pre-pooing”, or as a hot oil treatment, as well. Whatever your routine or practice is, the aftereffects may show significant improvements in moisture and hair growth.
How Often Should I Oil My Scalp?
Everyone's hair care routine may look different based on daily schedules, obligations, etc. No one way may necessarily be the only way, but a basic rule of thumb is oiling at least 2-3 times per week. This will ensure that you keep your hair follicles protected against harsh conditions of the weather, hair breakage from hair maintenance, etc. Whenever your hair is letting you know that it needs some added love and oil is always the best time to give it just that!
Best Bask & Lather Oils for Hair and Scalp Health
Looking to incorporate an oil for dry scalp, hair growth, and overall quality of your hair's health? Both of the Bask and Lather’s oils are perfect for getting into scalp oiling.
- Our Hair Elixir Oil contains Jamaican Black Castor Oil, vitamins B, C, and E, and other vital ingredients that help with moisture retention and hair growth. This 100% natural formula promotes soft, strong, and flourishing hair!
- Our Scalp Stimulator Hair Growth Oil is made with cold-pressed oils, Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, along with rosemary and mint. This 100% natural oil stimulates hair growth and nourishes the scalp with its powerful nutrients. It also calms irritation, restores hair's vibrancy, and eliminates dandruff!
If you’re still looking for more ways to care for your scalp, our summer scalp health blog. There's nothing like the confidence boost that having healthy, beautiful, moisturized hair brings! Here at Bask & Lather, we thrive on increasing that confidence by always providing natural products for you to add to your hair journey!